Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Homemade Laundry Soap

I'm always looking for ways to better my life, whether it be by making healthier choices, or trying to save money. When I saw homemade laundry detergent on Pinterest, I knew I needed to try it out. I used the recipe and tutorial found here. All of the ingredients were bought at my local Fred Meyers for under $10. So while the kids were off playing I got to work.
All of the ingredients
 
I shredded the bar of Fels Naphtha soap, melted it in water on the stove and measured out my Washing Soda and Borax while the soap was melting. The melting process took under 10 minutes for me. Once it was all melted I added the Borax and Washing Soda.
 
Ready to be poured into my bucket
The recipe called for 8-12 cups of water. I started off with 8, but once I added the Borax and Washing Soda it got a little thick, so I added the additional 4 cups, poured it into a 5 gallon bucket and added 4 gallons of water.
 
This is what it looked like when first poured into the bucket
 
I thought my bucket was big enough, but I could only fit 2 gallons in. I ended up letting it sit overnight and I added extra water as I poured it into the individual containers. I didn't realize how messy that would be. Since I didn't add enough water when I first poured it into the bucket, it turned very thick, and gel like.
After it sat overnight, looking all gel-like
Total it made about 6 gallons. It doesn't have a very strong smell, which I like, and my clothes seem to get just as clean, so I am very happy with the results. Next time I will for sure be using a 5 gallon bucket as well!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment